Monday 17 November 2014

Mystery Quilt "Millefiori" with Sarah Fielke

My latest quilt top finish is the Millefiori Mystery Quilt by Sarah Fielke

This quilt pattern was released over a 12-weeks period via the Spotlight Facebook page & the Spotlight website.  Each week you could download a free PDF file containing instructions on how to make that week's block/s.  As this quilt was a mystery, the picture of the finished quilt was not released until the end.  I waited until it was all released before I purchased the fabric and eventually started to make it only a few weeks ago.  I have included links to the pattern at the bottom of this article if you wish to download them.
 
Millefiori Mystery Quilt - design by Sarah Fielke
The quilt finishes at 80", which is about 2m square, so it is suitable for a large single bed, a double bed, or a large throw. There is an option to add an 8" border to the quilt to turn it into a queen size, however I haven't decided if I will enlarge it yet.
 
This quilt contains applique.  I chose to do hand needle turn applique instead of machine applique or fusible hand applique.

Personally I prefer hand needle turned applique.
My thread of choice is Superior Threads "Bottom Line" 60wt polyester thread.  I have 2 neutrals on reels (colours 619 & 623) and I recently purchased a "Super Bobs Donut" which holds 118 yards of each of the 35 colours.
A close up of the centre panels with the smaller circles.  All of these were appliqued by hand.
 
The fabrics used in this quilt are from Sarah Fielke's "Millefiori" fabric range which was released in October 2013.  Within Australia and New Zealand, these fabrics are exclusively sold through Spotlight stores.  If you live outside of Australia the fabric (if still available) can be purchased directly from Sarah Fielke via her website.
 
The Fabric Range

 
Here are the links to each week's pattern instructions:
 
 
I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt top!  Now I just have to design a back for it and hand quilt it.  My goal is to have this quilt completed by Australian Winter 2015.



This made my day; when I posted a photograph of the finished top on Instagram, Sarah Fielke "liked" my photo! ☺️  Talk about making my head swell!

2 comments:

  1. This top is beautiful Fiona! Your circle applique is just exquisite - congratulations on a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback.