Saturday 6 June 2015

Aussie Hoop Swap



 
 
Earlier this year I participated in the "Aussie Hoop Swap" which was hosted by Jas McMahon @jasminesews
 
Participants were asked to create a piece of hoop art for their assigned swap partners. 
 
Our partners were secret so we did not know who was making for us - at least we didn't until our parcel arrived.  And who we made for may not be the same person who was making for us.  Our dispatch deadline was 31 March.
 
My assigned swap partner was Kristy Monaghan @misskm89 who lives in Western Australia.  I was told that Kristy likes blue, aqua, turquoise and navy.  Kristy does not sew but does do embroidery.  
 
Kristy's inspiration mosaic
 
When Kristy mentioned that "the ocean is my place to be happy and sooth my soul" I immediately knew that I would run with this theme. I was inspired by the image of the lighthouse in her mosaic so went searching online for suitable images to use for inspiration.
 
This is the hoop that I made for Kristy.  I used a combination of variegated threads.  For the waves I used colour #1053 by ThreadWorx, #415 "Bonnie Brook" by Cottage Garden Threads for the lighthouse and seagulls; and #803 "Pea Soup" by Cottage Garden Threads for the light bulb.  I used a soft grey for the clouds.  I've used a combination of chain stitch, back stitch and satin stitch.
 
The entire parcel of goodies that I sent to Kristy kept with the ocean theme.  I included some stickers, the latest "Get Creative" magazine from Spotlight, a DMC embroidery pattern "Under the Sea", an "Ocean Breeze" candle and a selection of Semco embroidery threads in her favourite colours.
 
The candle that I included was called "Ocean Breeze"
 
The Semco threads that I sent were various shades of blues.
 
The card that I sent
 
When Kristy received her parcel

All photos on Instagram were posted with the hashtag #aussiehoopswap   There are some amazing photos in this feed so please check them out when you have time to do so. 

In my next post I will show you what I received from this swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback.